SUMMER S’MORE COOKIES
Who doesn’t love the taste of marshmallows? Marshmallows are essentially sugar-puffs and everyone knows that cooking sugar makes caramel. These cookies are chewy and delicious because the marshmallows explode slightly—peppering the inside of the cookie with their cooked-sugar, caramel-y deliciousness. Add chocolate chip cookie batter to that and you have what is essentially a S’more-Chocolate-Chip cookie. And what could be better?
Makes 30 medium sized cookies
1 ½ cup golden brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract (essence)
2 large eggs
2 ½ cups all-purpose (plain) flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
20 mini or 10 large marshmallows, roughly chopped
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup extra chocolate chips for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (you might have to cook these in 2 separate batches, depending on the size of your oven).
2. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, vanilla and butter and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs.
4. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this mixture to the butter mixture on a slow speed until blended.
5. Roughly chop the marshmallows so that the sticky edges show.
6. Add the marshmallows to the batter and mix on a slow speed for 2 minutes so they start to become part of the batter.
7. Add the chocolate chips and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
8. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoons onto the cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
9. Bake for 5 minutes then open the oven and rotate each baking sheet by half a turn so the other side of the cookies brown.
10. Bake for another 5 minutes, until very lightly golden brown, and remove from the oven.
11. Press extra chocolate chips into the tops of each cookie. Let sit for 5 minutes.
12. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool and firm up.
13. The marshmallows will have exploded slightly, causing little craters throughout the cookie- that’s what gives them the chewy, caramel taste.