STRIPED SALAD WITH HONEY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
This is such a great way to serve a Cobb salad. It is easy to assemble and sure to impress! Try and serve it in as large a serving piece as you can find – these gorgeous colors need a giant canvas. You can really use any type of ingredients you like – add in diced ham, avocado, or anything else you love in a salad!
HONEY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
½ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp honey
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and cracked black pepper
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 large mixed greens
3 tomatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes
1 can sweet corn, drained
¾ cup pine nuts
2 small red onions, diced
1 packet bacon, chopped
2 grilled chicken breasts diced into ½ inch cubes
6 heard boiled eggs, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
3 carrots, peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
2 cans cooked beets, diced into ½ inch cubes
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
To make the vinaigrette:
1. Whisk the vinegar, lemon juice and honey in a medium bowl.
2. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the salad:
1. In a small pan, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and let drain on a paper towel.
2. In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with ½ of the dressing. Place your lettuce into your serving bowl or spread over a large deep platter.
3. Arrange the rest of the ingredients in stripes along the salad. Try and alternate color tones so that the individual ingredients stand out. You can also put an ingredient all the way around the outside of the bowl like I’ve done here with the beets!
4. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side for your guests to pass.