SPICED PECAN PUMPKIN BREAD
It’s autumn, Halloween is just around the corner and pumpkins are littering every doorstep and backyard. However, these orange delights aren’t just for decorating! Pumpkins are sweet, spicy and delicious in anything from pumpkin risotto to Pumpkin cookies. Here, we’ve made a mild, sweet and slightly spicy bread that is perfect served alone, with salted butter, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
(makes 2 loaves)
Butter, for the pan
3 cups white granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 can (around 16oz) pumpkin purée (solid pack pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling)
3 cups flour
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp apple pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 cup pecans or walnuts (I often even used candied nuts for an extra caramelized flavor!), roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Get out two loaf pans and lightly butter and flour them.
3. Add the sugar, oil and eggs to a bowl. Beat until smooth.
4. Add the pumpkin purée to the mixture and beat until combined.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients (flour, cloves, cinnamon, apple pie spice, baking soda, salt, baking powder).
6. Slowly add the mixture of dry ingredients into the pumpkin/egg mixture. We do this in 3 different parts, so that all of the dry ingredients get incorporated fully.
7. Mix in the pecans.
8. Divide the batter equally between your two pans.
9. Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
10. Don’t overcook the bread, as you want it moist!
11. Remove from the oven, and cool on racks.
12. Using a metal spatula, loosen the edges of the loaves. Turn the pans upside down to remove the loaves.
13. Let cool and enjoy!