ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH FRESH HERBS
For a dish that is extremely light, healthy, vegan and gluten free, this is one of the most flavorful and delicious Fall meals – I am obsessed! It’s hard to believe that so much flavor can be packed into a soup that is essentially just cauliflower and herbs, but it’s extremely rich and satisfying. I love to play around with the toppings too – try reserving some of the roasted cauliflower florets and sprinkling them on the top, or even adding crispy roasted garbanzo beans for great earthy flavor! Enjoy!
1 head cauliflower, de-stemmed and cut up into florets
6 tbsp olive oil
Roasted fresh herb salt, to taste
Chili flakes, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 garlic bulb
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 sprigs thyme, stems removed
5 leaves basil
5-10 leaves oregano
1 container chicken or vegetable broth (32 oz)
1. Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
2. Cut the top off the garlic bulb, drizzle with olive oil and wrap entirely in aluminum foil.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Toss the cauliflower with 2 tbsp olive oil and spread over the baking sheet. Sprinkle with herb salt, chili flakes and black pepper.
5. Place the baking sheet and the wrapped garlic in the oven. Roast the cauliflower for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and softened. Roast the garlic for 25-30 minutes until softened. Remove from oven – remove the aluminum foil from the garlic and take the skins off the garlic.
6. In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil. Sauté the onions with chili flakes in the olive oil until the onions are translucent and slightly browning, stirring constantly for about 5-10 minutes.
7. Add the roasted cauliflower, and all the garlic, half of the thyme, all of the basil, and half of the oregano. Stir to combine and let sauté for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add the broth and combine.
9. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and stir. Using a high-powered blender, let cool and add slowly to blender. Blend on high (on Purée setting) until soup is thoroughly blended, at least 1 minute. Make sure that your soup is not too hot as it will explode out of the top of your blender or crack the plastic.
11. Put back into the pot and bring to a slow simmer to combine. Stir, and salt and pepper to taste.
12. Pour into bowls and garnish with chili flakes, olive oil, herb salt, black pepper, thyme leaves and oregano.