FESTIVE GREEN BEANS WITH TOASTED ALMONDS & POMEGRANATE SEEDS
I love this Holiday side dish as it’s bright, colorful and bursting with flavor. I always try to use French green beans, as they are thinner and crunchier than the other kinds. This is the perfect recipe to serve with your Christmas turkey – it’s festive, healthy and so tasty it could even be served by itself. The pomegranate seeds are an easy way to add color and a juicy crunch! Enjoy!
1 large bag of French Green beans, washed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic salt
¾ cup of slivered almonds
Pomegranate seeds to taste
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and blanch the green beans very quickly (about 2 minutes) until slightly softened but still very crisp to the bite. You’re going to keep cooking them in a sauté pan, so don’t cook them too much!
2. Drain and place in a bowl of iced water, so that the green beans stop cooking.
3. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
4. When warm, add the almonds and toast them slightly until they start to become golden brown.
5. Drain the cold green beans and add to the sauté pan. Season with garlic salt.
6. Sauté over high heat for 2-3 minutes, very quickly, so that the green beans are warm and coated with the other ingredients, but not soft.
7. Do not overcook the green beans—you want them to be crisp and crunchy!
8. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Toss with pomegranate seeds.